It’s almost (almost!) embarrassing how simple this dish is. But like so many pantry meals, they are made up on the fly and use what I have on hand. This means that the variations in dishes like this are only limited by what your pantry and refrigerator may have in them. In this case, some easy substitutes could include:
- Green onions (scallions) in place of the red onion
- Pinto beans swapped out for black beans
- Fresh peas instead of the corn
- Italian parsley substituted for cilantro
- Red bell peppers as an alternative to cherry tomatoes
- Orzo instead of couscous
What substitutes would you use based on what your pantry has in stock?